The baker’s skill combined with a ridiculous obsession for sourcing the finest ingredients.
Since we started Red Hen Baking Co. in 1999, we have been known primarily for our breads. We continue to focus much of our efforts on the “staff of life,” but opening our retail shop and café at Middle Ground allowed us the opportunity
to expand our range into sweet treats.
We put our longtime bread-baker Jeremy Gulley at the helm of our pastry ship and every morning he and his team pack our pastry case with a wide range of goodies from croissants to biscotti.
Our pastries begin with simple, uncomplicated local ingredients — organic unbleached wheat flour, organic sugar, milk from Monument Farms, and a host of featured local fruits, cheeses and meats.
- The classic French pastry with 38 layers of butter from VT Creamery.
- Our own energy bars! Stick it in your pocket for a pick-me-up when you need it. Chocolate or fruit.
Chocolate Almond Croissant
- Just like the regular Almond Croissant, but with the addition of decadent organic chocolate.
Ham and Cheese Croissant
- Featuring Boggy Meadow Swiss and North Country Smokehouse Ham.
- Stuffed with our own organic almond paste and covered with simple syrup and slivered organic almonds.
Maple-Frosted Cinnamon Bun
- Made from croissant dough. A perfect morning bun.
- Light and lovely. Cookies like the French do 'em.
Maple Glazed Sticky Bun
- The original favorite made with pure Von Trapp Maple Syrup, raisins, and walnuts. Made only on the weekends.
- Not a Donut but tastes like one! Made with croissant dough and rolled in cinnamon and sugar – baked not fried.
Seasonal Savory Croissant
- Check our pastry case for the day’s selection. Kale, spinach, herbs and cheese... sometimes other surprises!
- The perfect coffee dunker. We make a few types. See what we decided to do this week.
- Sugar cookies, shortbread, linzer tarts, and more. We change these up with the seasons, so keep your eyes open for our latest creation.
Pain Au Chocolat
- Our croissant filled with organic chocolate from Ecuador.
- We bake a few different types of scones every morning. Perennial favorites are lemon-currant, almond orange, and bacon cheddar... but we add new types seasonally.
- Simply irresistible. It also happens to be wheat-free.
Plain Jane Brownies
- Anything but plain, with organic chocolate from Ecuador
- Our decadent brownie with cayenne pepper
- We always keep our case supplied with our amply-sized trio of chocolate chip, molasses, and oatmeal raisin.
- Croissant dough and seasonal local fruit. Weekends only!
- Made with Champlain Orchards apples. Weekends only!
- What!? A whoopie pie at Red Hen? But of course! Although you will never think of whoopie pies the same way after you have our's, which is made entirely from scratch.>
Apple Pie Slice
- Weekends only, when available.
Whole Apple Pie
- The Vermont classic made with local flour and apples. Weekends only. Available Seasonally.